For 5 litre pot:
2 small beets (or 1 large),
5-6 small potatoes (or 3 large),
half of a cabbage (about 800g),
1 large onion,
3 small carrots,
1 bell pepper,
800g of canned tomatoes in juice or tomato juice,
50ml olive oil,
2 garlic cloves,
herbs (parsley, chives, basil or dill),
Borscht is a Ukrainian national soup, it is very popular in many countries in Europe. Everyone has their own Borscht recipe. I’ve tried many but I still think my mother’s version is the best soup in the world. It is very easy to cook, you just have to put everything in the pot in the right order; meat, beets, potatoes, cabbage and then the onion.
1. To make this borscht soup I usually cook pork. You can use any meat you like beef or even chicken. Put the pork in a pot with 4 liters of water, boil for 1.5 hours. After cooking there should be about 2 liters of broth.
2. Take out the meat, allow it to cool, chop it finely and put it back to the stock. Bring to a boil.
3. Peel the beetroots and grate coarsely. As soon as the broth boils add the beets and reduce to a low heat.
4. Cut the potatoes into cubes.
5. As soon as the broth boils add the potatoes.
6. Cut the cabbage, I like it cut very finely.
7. Add the cabbage. I like the soup with a lot of chunks in it.
8. When the cabbage is cooked chop the onion into cubes.
9. Heat a frying pan, add the onion and cook until it is lightly browned.
10. Coarsely grate the carrot.
11. Finely chop the peppers.
12. Add the carrots and peppers to the onions, simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
13. Add the tomato juice to the pan, simmer for 5 minutes. I didn’t have tomato juice so I blended crushed tomatoes with a tablespoon of the broth.
14. Add the tomatos to the borscht, season with salt and pepper. Cook on a low heat for ten minutes. Add crushed garlic to the soup, turn the stove off, cover with a lid and allow to infuse for 20-30 minutes.
15. Voila! The borscht is very thick and nourishing. This dish is even better on the second day! Serve with a little sour cream and sprinkle with some parsley.
20g unsalted butter, 1 small onion (around 85g), 1 celery stalk (...
2 zucchini, 2 eggs, 1 potato, 50g cheese, 1 onion, 2 garlic c...
1 cup = 250ml, 1/4 cup (55g) unsalted butter, room temperature, ...
For the dough: 7 g of dried yeast, (1 packet), 1.5 cups (360ml) ...