500g dried fruit (raisins, apricots, cherries),
250g cooled strong black tea,
200g light brown sugar,
225g plain flour,
2 tsp baking powder,
1/2 tsp nutmeg,
1/2 tsp allspice,
2 large eggs, lightly beaten,
75 ml rum,
zest of one lime (or lemon),
pinch of salt.
I have baked this cake before. Only last time, I did not add the rum, and I used different fruits. Not usually being a fan of alcohol, I do like the taste of rum in baking, so I decided to try it. I named this cake a “Christmas” cake, since it tastes of fun and festivities. So when I bake this cake for Christmas and New Year’s, it will be easy to find on this website.
1. Brew 250ml strong black tea, then let it cool.
2. Carefully wash the fruit.
3. Add cooled tea, sugar, 75ml of rum (or any hard liquor except vodka). Mix well to dissolve the sugar. Cover with foil or lid and leave overnight. This is a must, as well as being easy to fulfill.
4. If you soaked the fruit in the evening, bake the cake in the morning.
5. Warm the oven to 160° C. Prepare the fruits: Cut the apricots into quarters.
6. Grate your lime or your lemon.
7. In a bowl, mix flour with baking powder, salt, nutmeg and pepper, add the lime (or lemon) zest. Mix well.
8. Add the dried fruit and tea mixture into the flour. Mix well.
9. Lightly beat the eggs.
10. Add the eggs and mix well. This should thicken the mixture as required.
11. Grease the cake tin with butter and pour the mixture in.
12. Bake at 160° C for 60-80 minutes. It took me exactly 70 minutes. Place on a grill to cool. When well cooled, remove from cake tin. You can gently move around the edges with a knife to make it easier to remove. Decorate with sugar (optional) for the elegant look of snow. This cake rises to the occasion, such festivities!
13. I do not regret for a single moment adding the alcohol, as the cake turned out more flavorful. In any case, this perfect cake with alcohol, is equally bright and cheerful without it. It could not be more suited to your New Years festivities. Try it – you will not regret it. What’s more, this cake is fairly easy to bake.
125g flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 75g...
1kg chicken breast cut in half, 1 cup heavy cream, 1 t...
450g scallops (fresh or thawed), 1 ripe pineapple, 1 orange, 3-...
300g salmon, 2 teaspoons honey, 2 teaspoons dijon mustard, 2 te...