2.2kg beef, cut into large cubes(4х4),
4-5 large onions (around 900g),
60ml vegetable oil,
4 tablespoons Hungarian paprika,
3 garlic cloves,
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds,
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper,
salt to taste,
1 litre white stock, 120g tomato paste.
Goulash is Hungary’s national dish. Traditional goulash is made everywhere in Hungary and everyone makes their own adjustments giving the dish it’s homey, vulgar charm. In total there are about 170 different recipes, which are distinguished by adding different kinds of paprika and various changes to ingredients. This recipe is taken from the book”On Cooking” (page 373).
1. Finely chop the onion and garlic.
2. Heat a pan with a thick bottom, pour in the oil, fry onions until light golden brown.
3. Add the garlic, paprika, salt, pepper, and cumin seeds (I ran out of cumin so I used oregano instead) to the onion.
4. Stir well.
5. Mix the stock and tomato paste together, add to the pan and stir.
6.Bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat to low.
7. Add the meat. Cook uncovered for 1-1.5 hours until the meat is soft and tender.
8. Voila! This very hearty and tasty stew is ready. The paprika gives this dish a rich color and taste, making it very appetizing. Sprinkle with herbs and serve with your favorite side dish, I particularly like serving it with potato salad.
1 cup flour (1 cup=240g), 1 and 1/2 cups milk, 3 large eggs, 1 ...
100g butter, 4 eggs, 180g flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, custard. ...
1.4kg chicken (leg quarters, or rabbit), 150g Dijon mustard, 7...
5 medium potatoes, 60 ml olive oil 2 garlic cloves, a spr...